Thursday, August 9, 2007

First day hard on parents too

This morning, the parents of kindergarteners at Kitty Stone Elementary School seemed to need their hands held more than their children.

"I'd like to learn about letters, the numbers, and the alphabet," said one kindergartener, as she marched towards her first day of school.

"It's a little nerve racking," her mom said with a quick smile.

Lori Tippets, Jacksonville school board president, kept a watchful eye over the kindergarten drop-offs as their teachers expertly whisked them off to rooms bursting with crayons, paper, and color.

"I think it’s harder on the parents," said Tippets. "We help them. I tell them, 'the first day will be harder on them than the children. I just tell them to go with the flow.’"

"I'm so excited, I'm going to cry, I love you so much," said another mom as she kissed and hugged her daughter goodbye.

"I'm going to cry all the way home," one more mom said after her child had disappeared into a classroom. "My stomach’s in knots."

-cynthia

No comments: