Thursday, August 9, 2007

Early to rise

Andy's post reminds me of a teacher I had in high school. At my school district in Ohio, the elementary schools began at 9 a.m., but the high school started at 7:25 a.m. She often wondered why the little kids, who were up and excited that early anyway, didn't start before the older grades.

That's not the case here, as I've made my way from Tenth Street over to Anniston High School.

New 10th-grader Tyree Miller said he struggled a bit when the alarm clock blared so soon today.

"Man, I'm not used to this," he said, rubbing his eyes as he milled around the parking lot looking for friends.

11th-grader Sherrod Simmons said the early wake-up call didn't bother him so much this morning. His summer job at Winn-Dixie kept him in the routine.

No comments: